[Toybox] Would someone please explain what bash is doing here?

scsijon scsijon at lamiaworks.com.au
Fri May 22 17:44:27 PDT 2020

On 22/5/20 8:03 pm, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 5/22/20 12:42 AM, scsijon wrote:
>>> Mine too, but grep isn't finding extglob under /etc or ~/.*
>>
>> ? from inside /etc/bash.bashrc
>>
>> /cut
>
> I'm not entirely sure what you meant here, but I attached /etc/bash.bashrc from
> devuan 2.0 and it does not contain "ext" or "glob". (Or "cut".)
>
> Rob

I was saying that you should find a hint, if not the code itself in that
file if it's global.

Other than mine having a few extra lines at line 40 >

----------------------------
# sudo hint
if [ ! -e "$HOME/.sudo_as_admin_successful" ] && [ ! -e
"$HOME/.hushlogin" ] ; then
     case " $(groups) " in *\ admin\ *|*\ sudo\ *)
     if [ -x /usr/bin/sudo ]; then
	cat <<-EOF
	To run a command as administrator (user "root"), use "sudo <command>".
	See "man sudo_root" for details.

	EOF
     fi
     esac
fi

------------------------

mine is almost the same, but a puppylinux breed.

That is where they should appear, unless your system has put them in the
/etc/profile, /etc/profile.local, /root/.bashrc, $loginname/.bashrc or
/etc/profile.d/????  (depending on your system), etc.... files for their
own reasons, however, remember that most of the flags are also
'on-by-default'.

try typing >

# bash -c "help set"

and >

#bash -c set

and see what appears (at the top in the second case).

Especially considering that bash uses + rather than - to cause these
flags to be turned off, it uses reverse logic just to confuse us humans!
And that's just the simple bash side of it.

And then, there is wildcarding within grep. That, can also have it's own
'set' of individually configurable 'replies' depending if your using
grep, egrep, fgrep, rgrep (or the old ngrep, which was mainly for
mainframe and mini's where timeslots are used), each can have it's own
configurations, even on the one system. For grep, i'll send you to
http://www.linuxcommand.org/lc3_man_pages/grep1.html for some basic
reading if you haven't already visited it. If you want detailed 'stuff',
ask, and i'll try to look my old CDC manual set out which had 2 folders
just on grep. PC grep against mainframe grep is a 'doddle'.

regards
scsijon