[Toybox] toysh vs dash

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Oct 22 03:27:08 PDT 2020

On 10/22/20 5:05 AM, scsijon wrote:
> Just wondering if toysh will be able to replace dash.

I'm aiming to replace bash. I don't have a "remove any feature that's not in
posix" flag yet.

> I'm looking at nenuzhnix (https://github.com/tpimh/nenuzhnix) at present, known
> as the most useless linux distro which uses both toybox and dash. Nenuzhnix is
> one of a kind because of the very specific set of software it is built of/with.
> Unlike most linux distros nenuzhnix is built of "unpopular" software, and  the
> most special thing about nenuzhnix is it's llvm-based toolchain called ngtc and
> is a musl build.

Ok.

> Strangely i'm not spruking it, even if it sounds like it,

Google says spruiking might mean publicize? (Never heard of this word.)

> I just want to know if
> toysh can relace dash so we can plan the removal of another package when the
> time comes, and also kmod when modprobe and maybe depmod have been finished and
> also incorperated in toybox as the rest of kmod has already been added.

In theory toysh should be a fully functional shell. I'm planning to build linux
from scratch and chunks of beyond linux from scratch under it early next year.

I've mentioned it's still missing some stuff, but it's mostly there. The command
line editing is what you'll really miss if you try to use it. (Tab completion,
history, cursor left and right to insert in the middle of the line... Not hard,
probably less plumbing than "top" already uses, I just haven't done it yet.)