[Toybox] init.c ? and oneit

scsijon scsijon at lamiaworks.com
Wed Apr 28 22:08:42 PDT 2021

Sorry about the slow response, making a small amount of $ to help to
remain retired is my excuse.

On 20/4/21 5:19 pm, Rob Landley wrote:
> Mostly I just haven't prioritized it? (You're the first to ask in a while, I
> mostly just use oneit for my stuff, and android has its own giant init thing. I
> plan to do it before 1.0, but it hasn't been a blocker.)

Ok, I don't know anything about oneit. Do you have, or can point me at
any docs or something that tells me what needs to be changed to use it
instead of init please? Being a puppy man we run most things from root
(no comments or flares on that please, we've dealt with enough of that
in the past). Is there sourcecode for a standalone version of oneit
available somewhere please? Preferably one that I can build and try with
my existing systems, it may be just what is needed for a couple of other
systems as well, if it's compatable (without major changes) as standalone?

> It's not hugely complicated, but I need to wrap my head around what's there...
> why does the signal handler disable ctrl-alt-del if called with an unknown
> signal (and then hang)? Why initialize it to 0 and have a default: case if you
> don't intend that codepath to be used?
>
> The halt/reboot/shutdown commands are tangled into this because they generally
> work by signaling init to restart the system (so it can cleanly shut down
> daemons and such, the -f option will do it directly). And there's runlevel
> support which busybox never implemented but I want to do...
yup, a whole bucket full of bloodworms, not just a small tub of fishing
worms if you want to meet the complete init spec. Includes timeslot and
processor allocation configuration as well as levels assignment for
logins linked to devices just to start with. !NOT going there again, 3
months wasted many years ago, without any usefull code, just specs and
flowcharts created, "^" wasn't happy.
> Rob
>
> P.S. This is not counting the whole "figure out what 20% of systemd support
> would be worth doing so the maximum number of people can AVOID using the rest of
> it". I sat down with its author in 2015 and my notes are at
> https://landley.net/systemd-notes.txt

/cut

Not interested in systemd, never thought it would get as big as it has!
I can see it's uses for a server, not for standalone workstation systems
which is all I build and use nowadays, 50 years in computing next year,
and my first year engineering tutor thought they were a passing
'flash-in-the-pan'.

scsijon