[Toybox] Fwd: scripts/llvm-buildall.sh? try2

enh enh at google.com
Mon Aug 9 09:51:43 PDT 2021

On Fri, Aug 6, 2021 at 3:54 AM Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> Huh, forgot to click "send" on this window...
>
> On 8/3/21 6:53 PM, scsijon wrote:
> >> And, um... huh. Well, clang-rt is part of llvm-project so...
> >>

> https://android.googlesource.com/toolchain/llvm-project/+/refs/heads/master
> >>
> >> Last updated in 2019?
> >>
> >> Am I looking in the wrong place?
> >
> > do you mean
> >
> > https://compiler-rt.llvm.org/
>
> No, I read that when I was looking for how to build JUST the builtins dir
> without the 8 gazillion electric fence variants.
>
> > and
> >
> > https://github.com/llvm/llvm-project/releases/tag/llvmorg-12.0.1
>
> https://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2021-07/msg04610.html
>
> > ?
> > or do you need to look under
> >

> https://android.googlesource.com/toolchain/llvm-project/+/refs/heads/main
> >
> > and not master
>
> Cool, thanks. Hmmm...
>
> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/toybox/+/refs/heads/main
>
> Not a consistent policy, it seems?

https://github.com/github/renaming

or more specifically for llvm:
https://foundation.llvm.org/docs/branch-rename/

> So where's the build invocation? What is the command line that invokes
> cmake
> and/or ninja on this package when building the NDK? That directory has
> CONTRIBUTING, a README, and some dotfiles. The compiler-rt directory has a
> CMakeLists.txt but that's like having a Makefile or an autoconf "configure"
> file: it doesn't say how a given build invokes it. (I was spoiled by
>
> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/toybox/+/refs/heads/master/Android.bp
> and assumed most AOSP packages work something like that: apparently not.)

that "platform/" versus "toolchain/" is meaningful. if there's a
"platform/" it's the kind of build you're used to. if there's a
"toolchain/", it's a prebuilt input to the build. (toybox is weird because
it's used in both. there's a shell script in prebuilts/build-tools/ to take
a new prebuilt to bridge that gap.)

> I just read
>
> https://src.fedoraproject.org/fork/tstellar/rpms/clang/c/dea2413c6822cc7aa7a08ebe73d10abf8216259f?branch=clang-minimal
> to try to figure out how Trilby is building llvm, and the trick in that
> particular link is -DCLANG_LINK_CLANG_DYLIB:BOOL=OFF helps get a properly
> host-static toolchain. (Toolchain builds are hard to google for because
> there's
> input/output confusion. I want the compiler binary itself to be statically
> linked so I can tar it up and extract it on an arbitrary system and have it
> work, but to have shared libraries in its lib dir so it can create dynamic
> linked binaries if necessary. The NDK has sort of managed that, but if you
> google for quite a number of variants of "ndk build" it says how to build
> things
> WITH the NDK, not how the NDK itself got created...)

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/ndk/+/master/docs/Building.md

(similar instructions for LLVM itself [which is a *prebuilt* input to the
NDK build] are currently only internal afaik, but we are working on tidying
up the internal docs and making them public.)

> I got linked TO that because the kernel guys were recently arguing about
> how
> llvm/clang is built/packaged terribly by various distros:
>
> http://lkml.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/2105.0/00127.html

yeah, there's a plan there too, but not much to show for it yet:
https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/musl/+/refs/heads/master

(for anyone reading this long after, and seeing actual content there, note
that at the time of posting the link led to a page saying "Initial empty
repository" :-) )