[Toybox] patch: add built-in versions of sha-2 family hash functions

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Jul 23 13:16:54 PDT 2021

On 6/7/21 11:14 AM, enh wrote:
> your non-POSIX cut(1) extension covers 80% of the in-the-wild use of awk anyway
> :-) if you still talk to any of the busybox folks, we should suggest they copy
> that --- it would be nice for it to be a de facto standard so we can get it into
> POSIX sometime around the 2040s... (and have made lives better for the folks who
> don't care about standards and just want to "get things done" in the intervening
> decades!)

So now that busybox has merged my patch:

  https://git.busybox.net/busybox/commit/?id=0068ce2fa0e3

Do we we poke coreutils or the austin group next? (Is there a plan _beyond_
adding it to busybox?)

Possibly we want to wait for a busybox release or two and _then_ poke coreutils
when versions of busybox with cut -DF show up in Linux distros? (Depends how
much resistance and bikeshedding we expect from a gnu project.)