[Toybox] Pondering fdlength()...

enh enh at google.com
Thu Jul 8 08:54:52 PDT 2021

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 12:10 AM Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> Many moons ago, trying to determine the size of a CD in a cdrom drive was a
> pain, and the "binary search for last location we can actually read" was
> the
> only reliable way to determine the length of the image I could find.
>
> But I'm not sure that's still relevant?

yeah, i've assumed that that's dead code too...

in situations like this, i always remove the code --- that way i've either
removed some superstition from the world, which is always a good thing, or
i'll have a useful and up-to-date comment to add to the code when reality
forces me to revert my change, which is also always a good thing for code
that had people scratching their heads asking "is this really necessary?".

> That hardware's mostly gone away. DVD
> drives are still around, but require a ritual sacrifice in order to read
> the
> actual image data with that whole decss nonsense to <strike>remove the
> style
> sheet</strike> unscramble the contents, and while burning your own DVD for
> backup CLAIMS to have a half life of 5 years mine were more like 3, which
> ain't
> great for data retention, which was a widely known problem at least a
> decade ago
> ala
>
> https://www.rlvision.com/blog/how-long-do-writable-cddvd-last-400-discs-put-to-the-test/
> so people just bought USB hard drives and stuck them in a safe deposit box
> if
> they cared... Ahem. Anyway:
>
> Doing stat() to find a length, the "get block device size" ioctl, and
> finally
> lseek(SEEK_END) is _probably good enough? I can still fall back to the
> binary
> search but I'm not sure how SEEK_END is going to return failure and yet
> SEEK_SET
> still work in that binary search case? (The CD didn't even spin up the
> drive for
> the checks that didn't actually try to read data, because spinning up the
> drive
> was expensive so they disabled it and stubbed out the return values. This
> was
> related to the scsi layer throwing all the devices into a big pile and
> giving it
> a stir so /dev/sd? devices never enumerated in a known order the way IDE
> had
> because if the IBM zseries was going to have a serious device enumeration
> problem then all those IBM Linux developers Sam Palmisano was spending $1
> billion/year on from 2001-2005 were going to inflict that problem on the
> Linux
> on the Desktop crowd until there were no more people trying to use Linux
> on the
> Desktop. And thus was systemd forged in the fires of Mt Doom, and short of
> hiring Peter Dinklage to throw a recording of the song "bananaphone" into
> Kilauea nobody has a plan to make it go away again. Where was I?)
>
> The other thing is that fdlength() currently returns 0 when it can't find
> the
> length, and off_t is signed* and 0 is a valid length so it SHOULD return -1
> (with an xfdlength exiting),

(weird. i was sure i'd noticed this before and looked at adding
xfdlength(), but i can't find the git clone now ... too many machines! this
is not the future NFS promised us!)