[Toybox] New diff.c

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Aug 9 01:42:39 PDT 2022

On 8/8/22 10:30, enh wrote:
>> Anyway, the attached is still buggy and incomplete, but it gives the general
>> idea. If this ACTUALLY pending code this would be at least my third checkin of
>> the new plumbing, but since people are building and using stuff out of pending I
>> can't replace it until the new stuff fully works, which means you don't get to
>> see all the development history. So here's a checkpoint since I've been kinda
>> quiet otherwise. :)
>
> no history is always a mistake that ends up being regretted...

I know. That's why I posted a working checkpoint to the list.

> just
> check in as diff2, ndiff (new), tdiff (toybox), rdiff (rob) and then
> rename or delete when you make your final decision?

Except every time I've tried that the new one winds up getting abandoned, for
reasons vaguely related to https://xkcd.com/927/ .

> seems like the best of all worlds?

Right now I'm trying to work out which near term todo items should go in this
release. I've already held it a couple days past the 3 month schedule, and what
I should probably just do is cut a checkpoint release and then get everything
checked in for next time, but there's still low-hanging fruit. (That I've mostly
not been working on because I've had the bit caught in my teeth on the diff
redesign...)