[Toybox] tar xf doesn't work on compressed files if the *cat tools aren't available

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Aug 27 02:21:50 PDT 2022

On 8/26/22 18:34, enh via Toybox wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 25, 2022 at 5:49 PM enh <enh at google.com <mailto:enh at google.com>> wrote:
>
>     the kernel folks build in an even more restricted environment than AOSP. so
>     although they have bzip2 and gzip, they don't have bzcat and gzcat.
> ran out of time to investigate further today, but i did at least send you a
> patch to fix the build, and another to fix the tar tests on macOS again...

Hopefully fixed?

The reason I take so much time cleaning stuff up and promoting it is so that
WHEN I get a bug report like this, I'm confident I can root cause and fix it in
a reasonable amount of time. (Don't want to promote anything I can't support.)

The vague goal of the tutorial videos I'm trying to do (well, the code
walkthrough side anyway) is explaining promoted commands in sufficient detail to
get the bus number up.