[Toybox] Toybox tutorial videos.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Mar 8 00:07:31 PST 2022

On 3/3/22 1:10 AM, Rob Landley wrote:
> One of my https://patreon.com/landley goals is creating toybox instructional
> videos, and that goal was met recently thanks to a generous donor, so I've been
> learning how to record and edit video.

I've done a few videos at https://landley.net/toybox/video (which will need
sorting into categories and playlists before long), and now I'm figuring out
where to upload them. Dreamhost's webserver doesn't really scale to any real
simultaneous viewing load, and years ago they removed videos I put in a private
directory just for _me_ to watch, so I don't trust that to be load bearing.

Patreon extensively touts its partnership with Vimeo, so I created a vimeo basic
account and uploaded a video there (https://vimeo.com/685755655 ) but but then
when I tried to do a video post to patreon it said I couldn't do that with a
basic account and needed a pay one. (Of course.)

I also uploaded the video to archive.org
(https://archive.org/details/toybox-intro-prebuilt-binary ) which seems to work
fine, but pointing Patreon's video post URL to the MP4 file wasn't recognized
(the post bar stayed greyed out), and when I when I gave it the details page
with the very nice built-in viewer (it lets me watch at 3x in the settings gear,
the speed control on youtube maxes out at 2x)... it didn't embed. The summary
bar was something about a planned outage at archive.org, and clicking through
went to the "downloads" page listing files and you have to hit "go to parent" i
the file list to get to the page with the player.

(Oddly enough, archive.org converted the mp4 file I uploaded into a smaller
ia.mp4 file, which is closer to the size simplescreenrecorder was producing
before I ran it through blender. And then offered both versions for download...)

*shrug* Dunno. Still learning this stuff. Open to suggestions. :)

Rob

P.S. I'm aware the volume drops off a lot in that video. I boosted the mic gain
when recording the original chunk, did a separate bit to clear up a thing at
normal "100%" volume, and don't know how to get blender to adjust the volume of
an audio section yet. There's quite the learning curve in all this...