[Toybox] is orthodoxy a strong value of toybox?

Chet Ramey chet.ramey at case.edu
Thu Sep 1 17:41:35 PDT 2022

On 9/1/22 4:33 PM, Marc Chantreux wrote:

> Chet: if you're involved in bash developpement and don't bother replying to
> me:

I am the bash developer.

> I'm really curious about why the bash binary is so big (compared to
> zsh, for example, which has a lot of cool features stolen from rc, tcsh
> and all the others I already mentioned)

I've never given it much thought. It certainly isn't written "small," nor
is there any development emphasis on minimizing binary size. These days,
that doesn't really matter. It's all about what the VM system needs to copy
when the shell forks.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet at case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/