[Toybox] https://landley.net/notes-2022.html#18-12-2022

enh enh at google.com
Wed Jan 25 18:27:33 PST 2023

"I applied an snmp patch and I'm curious if Elliott was just reading
through the code or if Android actually has a use for SNTP?"

the former, on my own time, for a hobby project.

specifically i was trying to build a clock using
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2278 and a
https://www.adafruit.com/product/4745. there's a _lot_ of rtc drift, and i
didn't want to be going out to the internet for the time every 5 minutes or
so (and ideally not at all), so i was trying to work out "what's late
2022's equivalent of the DAYTIME service?".

i was imagining i'd set up broadcast sntp locally, but then realized that
would still leave me needing to deal with time zones, which
micropython/circuitpython seems to ignore (along with threads!), and even
though i could just pull in tzdata and write my own python code for it (a)
yuck, python and (b) now i have the "how do i update the tzdata?" problem.

in the end, i enabled the DAYTIME service on one of my boxes and just query
that every 5 mins. gross, but no observable rtc drift, and no need to talk
directly to the internet, and both ntp/sntp and timezone nonsense is
outsourced to a real computer running a real OS.

which, funnily enough, could have been an Android device --- repurposing an
old Android device and its screen would probably have made more sense
overall, but that big 64x32 LED matrix does look pretty cool if you're into
the whole public transport information board vibe and/or have fond memories
of the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mullard_SAA5050 like i do :-)