[Toybox] Github thingy #408.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Jan 31 21:23:41 PST 2023

Replying to https://github.com/landley/toybox/issues/408#issuecomment-1410711619
here instead of the list because design discussions in github issues comments
tend to get lost (or at least I can't easily find 'em again 6 months later):

Patch applied. Note I'm unlikely to catch regressions introduced into pending,
at least not in patches from you to pending, or from the person who wrote a
thing that's in pending. Those get applied without much (if any) review because
I tend to get sucked into long tangents far too easily otherwise. (The point of
pending is it all gets a properly thorough review later, and well-meaning
patches from known actors are unlikely to make it measurably worse in the meantime.)

Pretty much everything that's left in pending is its own nontrivial project to
properly clean up and promote, or I'd have done it by now, and I don't want to
mess with them much until I can set aside appropriate blocks of time/energy to
FINISH them.

Some aren't _big_ projects: telnet/tenetd I want to test interoperability with
other server/clients. For tftp/tftpd I also one to test at least one real user
like qemu's netboot, except the IBM mainframe "enterprise" clowns who hijacked
the project and drove off Fabrice Bellard back when KVM became a thing replaced
the simple "-bootp" command line option (http://etherboot.org/wiki/qemu) with
some procedure involving feeding json into virtfs
(https://www.kraxel.org/blog/2021/09/vm-network-boot/) and I need to build a
sufficiently old qemu version that it's NOT CRAZY to test this.

Some are design issues: tcpsvd doesn't share code with netcat and isn't inetd,
it's an otherwise obscure UI that Denys Vlasenko was fond of so added to
busybox, which got copied from there.

Some are just "I've never used bootchartd and need to figure out how to tell
what success looks like."

In the case of useradd and friends, the project is the lib/password.c rewrite
and the _blocker_ is making test infrastructure to properly regression test it
in a known environment it can trash, although I suppose I _could_ test it in a
deboostrap chroot before mkroot's ready? Hmmm...

Anyway, feel free to close this issue if it's working for you, lemme know what
to fix next if not...