[Toybox] yash - a posix-compliant shell

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Sep 20 13:31:03 PDT 2023

On 9/19/23 23:04, scsijon wrote:
> https://github.com/magicant/yash

Is therere a project called "yet another yet another" yet?

> Came across his while perusing various linux's bookmarks (trying to
> re-find a package i'd lost it's name, just knew i'd know it when I saw
> it). Just wondering what you thought of it and is it worth considering
> adding in to toybox as it's suppose to be posix-compliant, although
> claiming to be the most posix-compliant shell in the world I'm not sure
> about.

I've seen over a dozen shell implementations. Busybox had 5 of them when I
handed it off. None have claimed to be a public domain equivalent licensed bash
clone (the Defective Annoying SHell claims to be "posix"), no external shell is
going to be integrated with the other toybox commands so that an "echo" builtin
wouldn't be a duplicate implementation, no external project nailed to the side
of toybox would share lib/*.c code.

If you want a standalone shell as a separate package, nothing is stopping you.