[Toybox] more gnu nonsense: cp -n

Oliver Webb aquahobbyist at proton.me
Mon Apr 1 08:56:58 PDT 2024

On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 10:31, enh via Toybox <[toybox at lists.landley.net](mailto:On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 10:31, enh via Toybox <<a href=)> wrote:

> hadn't seen this one before...
>
> cp: warning: behavior of -n is non-portable

Really? Having „Warn if GNU extensions“ flags is one thing, doing it by default is…

> and may change in future;
> use --update=none instead
>
> (consider me skeptical that a system without -n is going to have
> --update=none…)

I’ve yet to find any utility set other than GNU with cp —update, FreeBSD and toybox have a -n, but no one bothered to do —update. But sure, that’s more portable.

The GNU project „removing bloat“ by deprecating extensions would be nice… if they weren’t removing things people actually use. Instead of actual bloat (_gawk_ has namespace control and a -M option to make the math arbitrary precision, along with a million other things no one has ever used)

- Oliver Webb <aquahobbyist at proton.me>