[Toybox] Microsoft github took down the xz repo.

Jarno Mäkipää jmakip87 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 01:53:58 PDT 2024

On Sun, Apr 14, 2024 at 9:14 AM Oliver Webb via Toybox
<toybox at lists.landley.net> wrote:

> To revive a old thread with new technical info I stumbled upon:
>
> On Saturday, March 30th, 2024 at 15:58, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
>
> > I set up gitea for Jeff on a j-core internal server, and it was fine except it
> > used a BUNCH of memory and cpu for very vew users. Running cgi on dreamhost's
> > servers is a bother at the best of times (I don't want to worry about exploits),
> > and the available memory/CPU there is wind-up toy levels.
> >
> > My website is a bunch of static pages rsynced into place, some of which use
> > xbithack to enable a crude #include syntax, and that's about what the server can
> > handle.
>
> Going through the list of "minimal tools" on https://suckless.org/rocks/, I stumbled
> upon a git frontend called stagit (https://git.codemadness.org/stagit/file/README.html)
> which the suckless project uses as it's git frontend. And from looking at it, works purely
> via static pages and is fairly minimal (2000 LOC in pure C with only non-libc dependency being
> libgit2. One of it's "cons" is that it's "slow on repo's with 2000+ commits due to diff
> generation", And then says that it takes 3s to run on a repo with 1500 commits). Have you considered it?
>
> The main downside of it is that it's MIT Licensed, which means if you wanted to bundle it
> in with the main repo there could be be licensing kerfuffles to deal with.
>
> But to have a solution, you must have a problem. The 2 main issues I have with the current git management
> are the fact there doesn't seem to be a way to clone the current repo directly from landley.net (Making Microsoft
> GitHub the middleman). And the fact I can't browse the source code without github or android code search acting as
> the middleman (This is a problem I've actually ran into on networks where github is blocked for some utterly insane
> reason, meaning I have to go to android code search to read through the code occasionally).

have you tried cloning the repo? seems to work fine to me.
$> git clone https://landley.net/toybox/git/ toybox

> The first of these seems near impossible to solve with _only_ static webpages, since a git server is not
> a static thing. I don't know yet tho.

Git repo with read-only access over http(s) is a static thing. you
dont need dedicated git spesific server software in order to give
simple pull access. Just host your git folder with any generic
http/https server that can host folder of files and knows atleast
simple GET request.

https://dev.to/chr15m/git-hacks-self-host-a-minimal-git-repo-over-ssh-388h

so you can just serve your git folder with any http server (example
with bloated python3. httpd should work fine but needs more setup)
$>python -m http.server --directory whereever/mybare_repo.git

then clone
$>git clone http://localhost:8000/ test