[Toybox] vhangup(2)

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Aug 30 19:11:27 PDT 2024

On 8/21/24 13:00, enh via Toybox wrote:
> fyi in case it's news to you too, TIL that vhangup(2) exists, and
> init/login/getty seem like the only processes that might actually want
> to use it...

Hmmm, I thought this essentially happened when the process it was associated
with exits (plus any forked children who inherited that process group).

If tty state isn't per-process I wouldn't want to use it in "disown" to
disassociate a sub-process. I guess I'd do that by re-associating to
/dev/console or something? (Which CLONE_NEWBLAH flag would fork pty state? Can I
have two active -t devpts mounts? It GRATUITOUSLY won't let me do that with
devtmpfs because Greg KH is still... yeah.)

I need to write up a tty cheat sheet, I keep having to re-investigate this every
time I wander through here...