[Toybox] deobfuscation of electricity meters

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Feb 27 18:29:31 PST 2024

On 2/27/24 19:45, David Seikel wrote:
> On 2024-02-27 19:37:39, Rob Landley wrote:
>> "We put all the switches together in a common fusebox, it's down in the
>> basement. If you want to control any lights in the house, go down there and read
>> the labels, it's so much tidier that way."
>
> Wait, your switches in the basement have labels?

Texas doesn't have a lot of basements. (Up near dallas that's because the clay
expands and contracts significantly each time it rains, so the concrete slab is
designed to kind of float on top of that. When I lived in the Austin hill
country it's because we were on granite and you'd need drilling and dynamite.
Downtown we _already_ flood regularly just on the surface, and for all I know we
might have it all: ten feet of soil expansion on top of impenetrable bedrock,
with a high water table.)

My house's circuit breakers are on an outside wall behind a large aggressive
rosebush.

> I wish the nine
> electricity meters in my new home had labels.

I labeled them. When I moved in. It's a thing you can do yourself. (Helps to
have two people working on it yelling stuff through a window.)

> The electricity
> distributor refused to tell me which is MY OWN meter for "privacy
> reasons", and none of the electricity retailers know which is which.

Turn everything you can off, collect candidates, start your dryer and stove,
collect candidates...