[Toybox] Can we remove 'catv' from the status page next release

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Feb 29 10:12:35 PST 2024

On 2/28/24 19:55, Oliver Webb via Toybox wrote:
> In the status page, catv is under "not started yet",
> catv was a command that existed in toybox since 2006 (commit 1521a9e, Slightly older then oneit).
> And ended up being removed in 2022 because no one uses it.

Blah, oversight.

> Since the next release of toybox is coming some time in the future,

I'm _trying_ to get it out today. (I don't get a chance to do a leap day release
often.)

> could we make sure
> to remove this from the status page when the next release is out? It's a command the project
> very clearly doesn't want.

Got it, thanks.

> Also, bash/toysh/sh is under "completed", although sh.c is still in pending and nothing from it gets
> built by default

Sigh, that's my fault. I need to redo my release checklist sequencing.

The problem is that mkroot.sh enables two commands out of pending (sh and route)
that the init script needs to run, and if I run scripts/mkstatus.py with the
"toybox" in the curent directory left over from that (last target that builds is
x86-64 so it's usable), or even just rebuilt from the .config that used (it
doesn't do a renamed .config file like scripts/single.sh does), then the set of
"finished" commands the script gets by running ./toybox includes sh and route.

In the long run that should fix itself. If those two were promoted, then it
wouldn't have to enable anything out of pending by default. Working on it...

In the meantime, I need run "make distclean defconfig toybox" before updating
the status page. (I can't do it BEFORE doing the mkroot.sh builds because that
completing and mkroot/testroot.sh not giving me any surprises is my final
good-to-go check.)

(There's also a bit of a chicken and egg problem with tagging the repository for
the build, since the toybox binaries built by mkroot would give the git describe
"version-count-hash" output if built _before_ the new version was tagged. But
you can set VERSION= manually to override that. :)