[Toybox] Impact of global struct size

Patrick Oppenlander patrick.oppenlander at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 13:52:59 PST 2024

On Thu, Jan 4, 2024 at 4:30 AM Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:

> I note that I've written over a hundred lines of rant in response to his
> previous email already. I should dig back through this and turn it into proper
> documentation at some point. (Especially since Elliott knows more of this stuff
> than I do so I'm likely to get corrected a lot here...)
>
> On 1/2/24 20:54, enh wrote:
> >> You can look at /proc/self/maps (and /proc/self/smaps, and
> >> /proc/self/smaps_rollup) to see them for a running process (replace "self" with
> >> any running PID, self is a symlink to your current PID). The six sections are:
> >>
> >>   text - the executable functions: mmap(MAP_PRIVATE, PROT_READ|PROT_EXEC)
> >>   rodata - const globals, string constants, etc: mmap(MAP_PRIVATE, PROT_READ)
> >>   data - writeable data initialized to nonzero: mmap(MAP_PRIVATE, PROT_WRITE)
> >>   bss - writeable data initialized to zero: mmap(MAP_ANON, PROT_WRITE)
> >>   stack - function call stack, also contains environment data
> >>   heap - backing store for malloc() and free()
> >
> > (Android and modern linux distros require the relro section too.
>
> I thought that was only needed for dynamic linking? Then again you don't allow a
> lot of static stuff to run on the final system anyway...
>
> (The line between PIE and dynamic linking confuses even me. How does static PIE
> relocate itself? I _think_ I looked it up once, but "it's statically links in a
> dynamic linker in the pile of crt1.o and begin.o files" _can't_ be right...)
>
> > interestingly, there _is_ an elf program header for the stack, to
> > signal that you don't want an executable stack. iirc Android and [very
> > very recently] modern linux distros won't let you start a process with
> > an executable main stack, but afaik the code for the option no-one has
> > wanted/needed for a very long time is still in the kernel.)
>
> Cool.
>
> These days there's also vdso and vvar, which are provided by the kernel at
> runtime. The first is a .text section with magic functions you can call as an
> alternative to syscalls, and the second is a magic .rodata section that provides
> volatile variables the OS updates which you can just reach out and look at.
>
> Between the two of them you can do things like check the current timestamp
> without a system call. What they actually provide varies by OS (and then your
> libc has to be taught to use each new capability out of there instead of making
> the syscalls).
>
> "cat /proc/self/maps" and they're the last two entries if present.
>
> There is a "man 7 vdso" but I dunno how up to date it is. (Which gets us back to
> Michael Kerrisk's retirement and the new guy NOT MAINTAINING A WEB COPY. Grrr.)
>
> Maintaining backwards compatibility means keeping a lot of old stuff. I had a
> talk with Rich Felker last night on IRC about what musl-libc's syscall
> requirements actually _are_, and what it would take to repot it on top of a
> posix-ish RTOS du jour. (Makes the trusting trust cleansing cycle smaller if you
> can cross compile Linux from an RTOS...)

I did the "run linux-musl binaries on an RTOS" part a few years ago
and ended up with this list:

https://github.com/apexrtos/apex/blob/master/sys/kern/syscall_table.c

It's by no means exhaustive, but it was enough to run a useful set of
toybox toys, busybox's ash and enough other stuff to build a
commercial product running on an armv7-m (nommu) chip on top of it. I
had a risc-v port working and was in the middle of getting powerpc
(mmu) stuff running when circumstances changed and I had to move on.

I'm not sure how many more syscalls would be required to be able to
compile Linux, but probably not a whole lot.

Patrick