[Toybox] Microsoft github is disabling my account on the 7th.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Wed Sep 25 11:34:50 PDT 2024

On 9/25/24 10:48, enh wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2024 at 11:14 AM Rob Landley wrote:
>     > GitHub users are now required to enable two-factor authentication as
>     > an additional security measure. Your activity on GitHub includes you
>     > in this requirement. You will need to enable two-factor authentication
>     > on your account before November 07, 2024, or be restricted from account
>     > actions.
>
>     So apparently I'm losing access to microsoft github on November 7th. I still
>     have https://landley.net/toybox/git/ <https://landley.net/toybox/git/> but
>     that isn't particularly load-bearing.
>
>     Anybody got any suggestions for an alternate git hosting service? I haven't
>     looked around recently.
>
> gitlab's even worse --- they wouldn't accept the phone number i use with github
> for some reason, and suggest i give them a credit card instead.

I asked on mastodon and got sourcehut.org suggested, haven't looked yet. We set
up a local gitea for j-core.org a while back but never published it because it
scales TERRIBLY (2 gigs ram per active connection!) Half of what github's used
for is bugzilla, probably need to find one of those...

Sigh, this should not be new. Back before the dotcom crash sourceforge was trying
to handle this. (The geocities of this space.) You'd think in 23 years we'd
have moved forward...

>     (Sorry, I've been really busy in tokyo. Fallen way behind on everything else.
>     I'm scheduled to fly back to the states october 1st and hope to catch up then.)
>
> since the last we heard from you before you went quiet was "i have covid again",
> glad to hear you're okay!

Part of the reason I fell into stunlock is we had a j-core todo list we were
trying to get through while I was here, and then a week got taken out of it. (By
what I initially thought was a mold allergy from all the water getting inside
during the the typhoon. The nice room with the whiteboard had a window leak and
water halfway across the conference table, all down the wall and into the rug...
And my hotel was so damp inside the air conditioner started dripping onto the
bed in the middle of the night and they moved me to another room...)

Dunno if it was covid again, but it was a week of constant coughing, terrible
sleep, and feeling like I'd been hit by a bus. I've worked through both weekends
since then.

Amusingly, https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=41613786 was generating traffic
to the j-core.org website while we were trying to catch up, and we WOULD have
pushed new stuff to the git repos already if we hadn't been behind schedule...

Anyway, sorry for the radio silence. I haven't even been reliably locally
updating my blog. Gonna be big holes in this month...

I was trying to get out a toybox release when I got sick. I tested linux 6.11
and a half-dozen different architectures were broken although some of them
turned out to be qemu regressions since 7.0.0, and I've got patches for a couple
others. On the toybox side I'd really really REALLY like to get the /etc/passwd
and crypt() changes properly in this release (which requires moving the hashes
to lib), but it's overdue enough I should cut one with what I have and then
start working again...

I have like 6 open reply windows with list emails I need to finish thinking
about, and a bunch of notes that read like "somebody had an unshare flag combo I
couldn't test on the old kernel and can now test on new laptop, dig that out of
the list archive" where I've made work for myself by being insufficiently organized.

And I have until the end of the month to move my email off gmail because they're
doing their OWN "you can't keep doing what you've been doing" ultimatum with a
date attached. But dreamhost wants to do everything through the web page (very
hard to contact a human there any other way, and the MTU of some of their stuff
does NOT like being connected to from tokyo...), but the real problem is it
emails me a login link to the page to actually log in to it. Bit of a chicken
and egg problem losing access to email in that case. In PRINCIPLE the move is
straightforward (the button to change the DNS record to point to dreamhost's
servers is labeled "make me regular"), but pushing it is fraught.

(I should set up the email thing to fetch from and send through dreamhost's
servers, send myself email there and confirm I can get it, and then move where
new mail goes, and fish one last trawl through gmail's spam filter which can
only be done via their web page. Except I strongly suspect if I sent myself
email from dreamhost's server before updating the DNS, it'll go to gmail and I
won't see it through dreamhost's mail sever pop3 fetch...)

Once upon a time I used to run my own mail server. Greylisting handled like 95%
of spam with a simple trick (which was WAY better than spamassassin, eldrich cpu
hog). I didn't even mind server permitted from, it made sense. But then they
started attaching cryptographic keys to DNS records and it got all bureaucratic...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mwlucas/run-your-own-mail-server

Sigh.