[Toybox] Microsoft github is disabling my account on the 7th.

David Seikel onefang_toybox at dave.isageek.net
Fri Sep 27 15:36:49 PDT 2024

On 2024-09-27 14:36:46, Ray Gardner wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 25, 2024 at 3:58 PM enh <enh at google.com> wrote:

> >> I asked on mastodon and got sourcehut.org suggested, haven't looked yet. We set
> >> up a local gitea for j-core.org a while back but never published it because it
> >> scales TERRIBLY (2 gigs ram per active connection!) Half of what github's used
> >> for is bugzilla, probably need to find one of those...
> >

> > before you give up on github, can't you use a security key for the 2FA? presumably
> > you wouldn't have the same objections to that that you do to your phone number?
>
> Is the only objection to the 2fa requirement that Rob doesn't want to use
> his phone number for an SMS code?
>
> I just set up 2fa on my github account using Bitwarden Authenticator (FOSS
> for Android and IOS).  It was pretty easy. Installed the app, told GitHub
> to set up 2fa using the app, scanned a QR code shown on the laptop with my
> phone, entered the code shown on the app into the laptop, and I was in and
> set up.

Everyone assumes QR codes are easy to deal with.  Except on my current
Android smart phone, which has decided that it will refuse to focus.  It
does actually go into focus for a second, then backs out.  So QR codes
are useless to me, I can't read them.

Pissed me off with Signal, ONLY way to link my desktop to my account was
to get the phone to scan the QR code the desktop was showing.  I don't
use Signal anymore.

So while I'm happy there's an open source 2fa solution that'll run on my
smartphone, I REALLY wish there was non QR code ways of dealing with
them.

Have not been able to find a camera app that allows me to manually focus,
and certainly not any QR code scanner, and definately not the Signal app.

It's a software problem, camera worked fine on the previous Android
version.  I'll repeat, the hardware can focus fine, it's the software
that decides it's not really in focus and backs out to being actually out
of focus.

On the other hand, I left github for other reasons long ago anyway.