[Aboriginal] new user on the list (with questions)

Bjørn Forsman bjorn.forsman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 23:33:57 PDT 2011

Hi Rob,

My name is Bjørn and I'm new on this list (have been lurking here for
a few weeks though). I have been doing embedded linux systems for
about three years. I'm a linux addict :-)

Most of the time I use Buildroot. But lately I've been wanting to use
a "real distro" instead of an "accidental distro" (I've been reading
your presentation.pdf and website :-) ). Unfortunately, it seems most
"real" distros don't really care about being able to easily bootstrap
themselves from source (as far as I can see). This is bad news for me,
because I think being able to build from source (with a specific
toolchain) is very important. I don't want to rely on binary stuff I
cannot rebuild.

So, I'm really glad to find the Aboriginal Linux project!

I have some questions:

* Where is the hg clone URL for Aboriginal Linux?
BTW, If you're considering setting up a git repo (I saw an email the
other day), maybe this helps: http://hg-git.github.com/

* Any chance Aboriginal Linux will support eglibc toolchains in the
future? Or any other libc than uClibc? Or is this a non-issue after
the next uClibc release as it will be possible to build other libc's
with the uClibc toolchain inside the emulator?

* What do you think about crosstool-NG? (It already has
uClibc/eglibc/glibc/newlib toolchains.) Could Aboriginal leverage the
work of crosstool-NG?

* Would you accept patches for an archlinux-bootstrap? It is currently
on my todo because Archlinux seems like a good "embedded" distro: it
has a small and efficient package manager written in C, works with
binary package repositories, the build scripts / package metadata are
simple shell scripts (easy to bootstrap) and the distro adheres to the
KISS principle. Any thoughts on that?

* It may seem that Aboriginal Linux has a very small community (little
ML traffic, all changes are done by you(?)), why do you think that is?

Thanks for writing Aboriginal Linux, I'm very excited about it :-)

Best regards,
Bjørn Forsman