[Aboriginal] Fwd: Re: Aboriginal Linux

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 04:45:23 PDT 2011

On Thu, 7 Apr 2011 13:29:13 +0200 Bjørn Forsman
<bjorn.forsman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 7 April 2011 12:17, David Seikel <dvstwo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 06:51:50 -0500 Rob Landley
> > <rlandley at parallels.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Retry sending it form my work address?  (Yes, gmail's spam
> >> filtering is so broken I have to send this through an exchange
> >> server to get it out. I'm going to have to set up my own mail
> >> server again, aren't I?)
> >
> > I've been using a simple hack to work around gmails failings with
> > mailing lists for years, since google say it's a feature, not a bug.
>
> How come my gmail account doesn't have these problems?
>
> Whenever I subscribe to a ML I setup a new filter in gmail that
> automatically lables and archives the emails. I've never had any
> issues.

Perhaps you are using the web interface, and we are using POP to a real
email client?  The problem I have is the automatic archiving of the
emails I send, and once archived, POP can't access them, so I never see
them.  I LIKE seeing my emails coming back from a mailing list.  Tells
me that the "best effort, but no guarantees" email system is actually
working.  Also helps with threading at this end.

Might be worth while seeing if IMAP access to gmail lets you look at
the archives.  But still that's gmail doing things with my email that I
don't want.