[Aboriginal] undefined reference to `finite'

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 06:21:34 PDT 2011

On Tue, 5 Apr 2011 06:35:02 -0500 Rob Landley <rlandley at parallels.com>
wrote:

> On 04/05/2011 05:12 AM, David Seikel wrote:
> > I'm very tired, and slightly ill, and I can't figure this out.
> >
> > One of the packages from the UI library I want to use for this
> > project uses a function called finite(double).  As far as I can
> > tell, uClibc should supply that function, since we have
> > DO_C99_MATH=y in its baseconfig. It's not being found though.
> >
> > It's all buried in a forest of #ifdef's that my tired mind is in no
> > condition to sort out.
> >
> > I'm only two packages away for having all my needed libraries
> > installed before I can start cutting code.  Time to sleep.
>
> Hmmm...  Posibly a question for the uClibc mailing list?
>
> You didn't say which target you were using, so I'll poke at x86_64:

I'm sticking with doing my builds for 486, since it's still possible
that those tiny 486 based boards I looked at last year may be used.
If they are not used, then 486 code will at least work fine on whatever
we move to.  Any board we move to will be a lot faster anyway, and I've
already mentioned that speed is not important for this project.

It appears that finite() is obsolete, and replaced with an isfinite()
macro.  A few things I found in my research pointed to that, including
the man pages on Ubuntu, but the clincher was this -

http://www.mail-archive.com/uclibc@uclibc.org/msg03404.html

I'll poke the UI library development list about changing that, though
the source I'm using is a stable release tarball, but they are thinking
of cutting another release soon.  Wont be a major change, I think they
only use finite() once.

Think I'll just stick a sed command in the build script for that
library for now.

> By the way, have you read this yet?
>
>   http://www.muppetlabs.com/~breadbox/software/tiny/teensy.html
>
> One of the best quick and dirty "get familiar with elf file format"
> things I've seen...

Nope, but I'll look at it later.