[Aboriginal] The hw- target stuff is probably bit-rotted.

Rob Landley rlandley at parallels.com
Mon Apr 18 18:12:36 PDT 2011

On 04/18/2011 07:48 PM, David Seikel wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 19:37:07 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to figure out how much I care.  I myself have never really
>> used it.  (I've got a Tin Can Tools hammer board I haven't tested this
>> year, it's on the dining room table under a pile of papers.)  And I
>> don't regularly hear from other people using it either...
>
> If you mean getting an actual bootable disk image out of it like I'm
> trying to do now?  So that I can hand it to real hardware soon.

The hw- targets mostly just let you build a different kernel with a base
architecture's toolchain and root filesystem.  See
sources/targets/hw-tct-hammer/settings for pretty much the only working
example. (The hw-wrt610n one sort of worked, but required a non-default
kernel tarball.  I.E. it only ever built with USE_UNSTABLE=linux and a
provided alt-linux-0.tar.bz2.)

Now that the kernel build is split out, I'm not sure how useful that is.
 You can just build your own and stick it in
"build/linux-kernel-$ARCH".  (The directory expects to have one file,
doesn't matter what it's called.  Ok, don't put a space or quotation
marks in the filename.)

By the way, what's probably bit-rotted is that linux-kernel.sh is
producing output in the $ARCH directory and not the $ARCH_NAME
directory.  And yes, that distinction is too subtle for me to really
want to maintain.  It should all be called $TARGET anyway...

> Just wasted a day beating up grub legacy. Think I got it in shape now.
> The patches supplied with the version used in the last LFS that used
> grub legacy don't actually apply, no matter which patch program you
> use.  The advice to set the compiler flags is just plain wrong.  No one
> ever actually tested the --disable-nls configure option.  #if
> statements refer to symbols that are not defined, instead of using
> #ifdef.  I'm sure there was more I can't recall right now.

Yeah, that's the FSF.  As with many packages, it used to work, then it
was contributed to the FSF and it gradually bloated and became incoherent.

> I seriously think that since that was the last grub legacy that FSF
> published, that they went to the effort of breaking it.  But, never
> ascribe to malice what can be accounted for with stupidity.

So back up a few versions.

>> the control images.  (There's a README in bootstrap-skeleton.  Hands
>> up everybody who'd noticed...)
>
> /me puts his hand up.  I've even modified one of the scripts in there
> to suit my needs.

Heh.

I'm converting it all to HTML so more people notice, but my day job is
unhappy and making them happy again is a higher priority on my time
right now...