[Aboriginal] Sparc-32 doesn't work in 3.1.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Dec 13 18:23:13 PST 2011

On 12/11/2011 02:17 AM, Sergei Trofimovich wrote:
>>>   Boot time fixup v1.6. 4/Mar/98 Jakub Jelinek (jj at ultra.linux.cz).
>>>   Patching kernel for srmmu[Fujitsu TurboSparc]/iommu
>>>   Fixup i f029ddfc doesn't refer to a valid instruction at
>>>   f00de648[95eea000]
>>>   halt, power off
>>
>> If anyone would like a reproduction sequence for this, the toolchain I use
>> (which compiles commit 9933fc0ac1ac14b^1 just fine) is at:
>>
>>   http://landley.net/aboriginal/downloads/binaries/cross-compiler-sparc.tar.bz2
>
> Tried to build both with your crosscompiler and with gcc-4.5.3/binutils-2.21.1
> Both boot but don't get to prompt (minimal config I guess).
> (v3.1 works the same as 3.2.0-rc5)

Not for me it doesn't.  The bug goes away if I even upgrade to 3.1.2,
it's very precise and fiddly in a 'stars align' sort of way.  It's
building vanilla 3.1 with the attached .config, and doesn't happen if I
change the .config too much.

> Linux version 3.2.0-rc5 (slyfox at sf) (gcc version 4.2.1) #1 Sun Dec 11 11:08:25 FET 2011
> bootconsole [earlyprom0] enabled
> ARCH: SUN4M
> TYPE: SPARCstation 5
> Ethernet address: 52:54:00:12:34:56
> Boot time fixup v1.6. 4/Mar/98 Jakub Jelinek (jj at ultra.linux.cz). Patching kernel for srmmu[Fujitsu TurboSparc]/iommu
> OF stdout device is: /obio/zs at 0,100000:a
> PROM: Built device tree with 23073 bytes of memory.
> Booting Linux...
> Power off control detected.
> Built 1 zonelists in Zone order, mobility grouping on.  Total pages: 28018
> mousedev: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
> rtc-m48t59 rtc-m48t59.0: rtc core: registered m48t08 as rtc0
> turn off boot console earlyprom0
>
> Can you share broken image to drive out qemu bug? (0.14.0 is here)

I don't think it is a qemu bug.  I marked up the fixup code with buckets
of printk() and it didn't change anything, my understanding is it's
btfixupprep.c producing bad output.  But so far I haven't made any sense
out of btfix.S and how it corresponds to the addresses the fixup code is
working on.  The address it's complaining about does not actually
correspond to any of the symbols in the "objdump -x vmlinux" output,
although they are between the ext4 symbols listed there...

I put the broken image up at http://landley.net/sparc-image for the
moment, but if you build 3.1 with the attached .config and the toolchain
mentioned last time, it should reproduce for you.  It's 100% reliable
for me...

Thanks,