[Aboriginal] Is moving control-images to their own repository a good idea?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Jul 2 19:08:13 PDT 2011

On 07/01/2011 10:26 AM, Bjørn Forsman wrote:
> On 1 July 2011 14:50, Rob Landley <rob at landley.net> wrote:
>> I've been thinking of moving sources/control-images to its own project
>> for a while now, and am poking at it this morning.
>
> Although I see the point in separating the two, because it is "clean",
> how about keeping them with aboriginal a little longer, for the sake
> of user + developer(?) convenience?

What use case did you have in mind?

The native build infrastructure doesn't care where the control image
came from, you just point it and go.  (You can download a system image
and a control image and set them on each other without compiling
anything on your host.)

The control images don't care hugely about the base OS they're building
more packages in, they just want a minimally functional environment to
extend.

I'd actually like to encourage people to do their _own_ control images,
and provide them infrastructure to do so.  (Yay that code getting
contributed back upstream, but it's not really a requirement either...)

What advantages do you see in having them in the same source tree?