[Aboriginal] confused about control-Images

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Jul 8 04:33:08 PDT 2011

On 07/07/2011 01:11 PM, prasanna balan wrote:
> Hello all,
>              I was poking at the control images in the aboriginal
> tree,particularly hello world. I just did'nt understand what to do with
> it.It wrote a script and the folder was made into an image.It gives the
> resulting image of 4 kib as in the website.

cd system-image-armv5l
./native-build.sh /path/to/hello-world.hdc

>             If i am not wrong,those scripts must require the previous
> images i.e the directories build and packages copied into root folder of
> new control-images tree and a script which first unpacks the previous
> image i.e mount it somewhere to access it , adds bootstrap features and
> repack it and emulate under qemu.
>             Just let me know about this

The "native-build.sh" script in each system image launches qemu with a
build control image as the third drive (/dev/hdc).  The init scripts
attempt to mount /dev/hdc on /mnt, and then run /mnt/init.  If that
works, it runs the build control image.  If that doesn't work, it falls
back to a shell prompt.

This lets you plug a separate, device-independent filesystem into your
system image and have it automaticaly take over when the emulator
finishes booting.  The images I made mostly use this to build more
software in an automated fashion, but really they could do anything.
(The busybox one runs the busybox test suite, although that hasnt' been
fully converted to build in a separate tree yet.)