[Aboriginal] kernel build problem for m68k

Matthew J Fletcher amimjf at sky.com
Mon Jul 11 11:06:16 PDT 2011

On 11/07/11 15:05, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 07/10/2011 02:43 AM, Matthew J Fletcher wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Using aboriginal 1.0.2
>>
>> ----
>> In file included from arch/m68k/kernel/dma.c:4:
>> arch/m68k/kernel/dma_no.c: In function 'dma_sync_single_for_cpu':
>> arch/m68k/kernel/dma_no.c:44: error: implicit declaration of function
>> 'flush_dcache_range'
>> ----
>
> That's either a 2.6.39 bug or my m68k config needs to change for 2.6.39.
>
>> I dont often look in the linux kernel arch stuff, but here goes..
>>
>> flush_dcache_range() is a #define in cacheflush_no.h, so it looks like
>> <asm/cacheflush.h>  is not including cacheflush_no.h
>>
>> looking at arch/m68k/include/asm/cacheflush.h there is a big fat #ifdef
>> __uClinux__ i guess thats not being fulfilled ?
>
> That should never have gone upstream into Linus's tree, uClinux is a
> distro that focuses on nommu system development.  (M68000 processors are
> obsolete, so most of the action these days is around a derivative called
> "coldfire" that started life as a nommu system and is still mostly used
> that way.)

Yea i realise m68k is obsolete, it was the arch that powered by first
computer and what i first started doing embedded work on so i have a
soft spot for it.

> So yeah, kernel bug.  But we need to fix it.
>
> If you can fix it to make it build, make a "-p1" style patch (like git
> diff generates, if you have to create 'em yourself diff the "linux"
> directories between a vanilla version and your modified version).  Put
> the patch in the "sources/patches" directory with a "linux-*.patch"
> style name, and then re-run the build.  It should pick it up automatically.

I fixed a couple of other nommu related build issues, but it looks like
m68k gas may be behind the times as well,...

arch/m68k/kernel/entry_no.S: Assembler messages:
arch/m68k/kernel/entry_no.S:47: Error: Unknown operator -- statement
`save_all' ignored
arch/m68k/kernel/entry_no.S:56: Error: Unknown operator -- statement
`save_all' ignored

> The FAQ has a long, drawn out explanation of the package cache if you
> care.  It makes building lots of targets faster, doesn't do so much for
> building just one target:
>
>    http://landley.net/aboriginal/FAQ.html#debug_source

I brute force and ignorance it by using an SSD :-)

regards

---
Matthew J Fletcher
amimjf(at)sky.com