[Aboriginal] "sh: gettext: command not found" during host compile

Matthew J Fletcher amimjf at sky.com
Mon Jul 11 11:34:49 PDT 2011

On 11/07/11 12:36, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 07/10/2011 02:02 AM, Matthew J Fletcher wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I get this printed several thousand times during compile, it does not
>> seem to effect the build process, i.e for various targets it runs to
>> completion.
>
> Um, during compile of what?  While building a system image on a host?
> Or while building another source package natively under a system image?

Almost everything. I started following the FAQ on debug_logging and
quickly noticed that even "more/record-commands.sh" outputed "sh:
gettext: command not found"

stripping that script right down to,..

#!/bin/bash
source sources/include.sh || exit 1
$CC --version

my output is,..

[mfletcher at purplebox aboriginal-1.0.2]$ more/record-commands.sh
sh: gettext: command not found
gcc (GCC) 4.4.3

interesting,.. not using $CC and doing /usr/bin/gcc --version in the
script does not complain about gettext.

But inside include.sh all CC is just "export_if_blank CC=cc" and my 'cc'
is just a symlink to /usr/bin/gcc

I think i am lost.

>> How would i go about finding what sh is trying to invoke ?
>
> I have infrastructure that wraps all the command line utilities and
> saves a log of every command line called, in order.  It's described here:
>
>    http://landley.net/aboriginal/FAQ.html#debug_logging
>
>> I am running Mandriva 2010.2 on x86_64
>
> We have an "airlock step" that isolates the build from the host
> environment, which is apparently failing here.
>
> In theory the host-tools.sh stage is supposed to build command line
> utilities to replace the existing $PATH (mostly busybox), and then point
> the $PATH to that new directory (build/host) and nothing else.
>
> That way, the ./configure stages of later packages won't find gettext
> and such in the $PATH, thus won't try to use them.  This means that it
> won't go "hey, you've got python installed, let me add python support to
> the result that will break if python isn't installed on the target".  It
> also makes the build more consistent: it does the same thing on fedora
> and ubuntu and such because it's building with the same tools (the
> busybox ones).  The only things it uses from the host are the compiler
> and #!/bin/bash.
>
> This does not seem to be working for you, and I'm not sure why.  Are you
> using build.sh, or did you run the build stages individually?
>
> Rob
>
> P.S.  I note that for the Linux From Scratch native build, I'm using a
> package to stub out the gettext library support:
>
> URL=ftp://penma.de/code/gettext-stub/gettext-stub-1.tar.gz \
> SHA1=ef706667010893c5492173c543d2c5b715abb8a7 \
> download || dienow
>
> But that's not for the gettext command line, that's for "man 3 gettext"
> (not "man 1 gettext" which you're having trouble with here).

regards

---
Matthew J Fletcher
amimjf(at)sky.com