[Aboriginal] Using native-build.sh for An Android native C compiler

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Jul 16 10:42:44 PDT 2011

On 07/16/2011 12:16 PM, Earlence Fernandes wrote:
> ok. doing what was suggested in that link got it compiled.
>
> I compile my file like the following:
>
> gcc -static gb.c -ldl

Would I be familiar with this gb.c software, or is it home-grown?

> however, when I run it, it segfaults in the call to dlopen
>
> This is the line in the file:
>
> void *dlh = dlopen("/system/lib/libc.so", RTLD_NOW);

Hmmm...  A statically linked uClibc program calling a dlopen() is
sufficiently black magic that I'd ask the uClibc developers on their
mailing list.  (You're using a dynamic linker that isn't loaded, there's
sort of a chicken and egg problem accessing it...)

A quick google finds:

  http://lists.uclibc.org/pipermail/uclibc/2005-July/033038.html
  http://lists.uclibc.org/pipermail/uclibc-cvs/2005-July/019085.html

Which suggests it was fixed ages ago and should work now, but there
might have been a regression...

I know that this _should_ work on an android kernel, people use android
kernels with glibc userspace all the time so no reason it shouldn't work
with uClibc.  So it's 99% likely to be just a uClibc bug.

One thing to try is using the current 0.9.32 release of uClibc.  I just
put a temporary copy of that at:

  http://landley.net/native-compiler-armv5l.tar.bz2

I note this hasn't been nearly as tested as the 0.9.31 version I'm
using.  That's their new release that came out recently.  (It includes
NTPL support, although I believe I've compiled it for pthreads at the
moment.)

If that works for you, it should be in the next release (aiming for the
end of the month).

Another thing to try is installing the shared libraries on the android
host, in their own directory, and doing a dynamically linked version.
That's a touch more complicated though.  (I have support for doing this
at non-standard paths, but don't remember the name of the control knobs
off the top of my head and it's been a while since I tested it.  I can
look it up if you're interested and write up documentation on how to do
it.  Fixing the static linking bug might be easier, especially if
there's an existing patch or easy workaround...)