[Aboriginal] It is cool, isn't it?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Jun 16 06:18:46 PDT 2011

On 06/15/2011 02:26 PM, Alessio Igor Bogani wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What do you think about this?
>
> http://marc.info/?l=kvm&m=130815323831521&w=2
>
> Ciao,
> Alessio

I heard they were doing this, I'm still not entirely sure why.  They
want KVM to implement its' own I/O devices rather than using QEMU's
device emulations (as pretty much every virtualization solution
including xen and virtualbox does right now).

*shrug*  Ok.  I use KVM as a better kqemu, although my new netbook has
an atom processor which apparently hasn't got the processor extension to
support it.  (No idea _why_, Intel didn't yank MMX but they yanked VT?
Ok...)

If KVM wants to not be part of qemu, they can join the ranks of user
mode linux, lguest, and xen: virtualization solutions built into the
Linux kernel that I don't really spend time playing with.

Mostly, I use qemu to emulate arm and mips and powerpc and such on my
x86 laptop.  x86 on x86 I can do via chroot or lxc.  (Linux containers
are exciting, it can scale to thousands of instances per box.  Making
virtualization scale beyond a couple dozen instances is a waste of time:
congratulations, you've reinvented the microkernel, people spent 20
years trying to make that scale and still insist it'll happen any day now.)