[Aboriginal] Would Aboriginal fit my needs?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Jun 24 17:28:10 PDT 2011

On 06/24/2011 03:36 AM, Alessio Igor Bogani wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would want try to adapt Aboriginal to my needs which are:
>
> 1) Avoid the build of any host tools (squashfs, genext2fs, make,
> distcc, e2fsprogs and all others): I would want use the ones provided
> by my distribution.

Skip the host-tools.sh step and it'll use the ones out of your existing
$PATH.  You can comment that line out of build.sh, or write your own
build.sh wrapper.

It's designed to be orthogonal, each layer can be removed and either
done without or replaced with something else.

> 2) Avoid the build of cross-compiler: I would want use a pre-built one
> (Aboriginal, CodeSourcery or others).

Skip the simple-cross-compiler.sh stage and add your cross tools to the
$PATH yourself instead.

In theory if you're not using host-tools.sh then just add it to the
$PATH and it'll pick it up out of there.  (It'll need the appropriate
prefix- names, might need to create a directory of symlinks to give it
the names it expects.)

> 3) Build target's things from DVCS (in my case I have a big local git
> tree with Linux, uClibc and busybox).

Natively build, you mean?

What do you mean by "DVCS"?

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVCS

> How and where should I change Aboriginal to achieve those?

For the first two, you shouldn't have to do any architectural work
(although it's nto extensively tested and you could easily hit bugs),
you just have to comment stages out of build.sh.

For the third, I need more details about what you mean.