[Aboriginal] The hw- target stuff is probably bit-rotted.

David Seikel onefang at gmail.com
Wed May 25 05:57:36 PDT 2011

On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 20:12:36 -0500 Rob Landley <rlandley at parallels.com>
wrote:

> On 04/18/2011 07:48 PM, David Seikel wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 19:37:07 -0500 Rob Landley <rob at landley.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Just wasted a day beating up grub legacy. Think I got it in shape
> > now. The patches supplied with the version used in the last LFS
> > that used grub legacy don't actually apply, no matter which patch
> > program you use.  The advice to set the compiler flags is just
> > plain wrong.  No one ever actually tested the --disable-nls
> > configure option.  #if statements refer to symbols that are not
> > defined, instead of using #ifdef.  I'm sure there was more I can't
> > recall right now.
>
> Yeah, that's the FSF.  As with many packages, it used to work, then it
> was contributed to the FSF and it gradually bloated and became
> incoherent.
>
> > I seriously think that since that was the last grub legacy that FSF
> > published, that they went to the effort of breaking it.  But, never
> > ascribe to malice what can be accounted for with stupidity.
>
> So back up a few versions.

Actually, the problem was that the LFS I was using included a later
grub version that was overwriting the source of the grub version I was
trying to install.  This happens when the LFS included source tarballs
are unpacked at the end.  I added in a line to remove the internal grub
tarball before unpacking the rest of LFS.

That at least got rid of the --disable-nls problem, the patches still
did not apply.

The rest of my problems where - when building a disk image from
scratch, it pays to sync often.  And some shitty hardware issues.

Right now I'm happy to finally see the system and demo app booting and
running on actual hardware.  Yay!