[Aboriginal] 9p VirtFS for /home

Niklas Brunbäck niklas.brunback at gmail.com
Wed May 25 01:57:09 PDT 2011

On Mon, 23 May 2011, Salman Aljammaz wrote:

> Caveat: Because this uses VitrIO, this currently only works for x86
> targets.  I believe there was an effort to make that work with ARM as
> well [2] but I don't know what's happened with that.  Meanwhile we
> could just run a real 9p server (inferno/npfs) and mount it over the
> network.  I wonder why qemu doesn't do 9p with its user mode network,
> like cifs...  I should look into that.

I'm currently using unfsd (http://unfs3.sourceforge.net/) to mount stuff
in qemu. It works really well, but you have to do a "cp -rs
/nfsmount/path/to/source /path/to/some/local/fs" and build in
/path/to/some/local/fs. I'm also exporting the toolchain to the target via
NFS.

It should work with most arches and it does not require root privileges
but you need to specify mountport=, port= and mountvers=3.

It wants to link to libfl. I'm building it statically with the cross
compiler just in case I need to export something from the target.

Niklas