[Aboriginal] Sparc-32 doesn't work in 3.1.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Nov 12 16:07:01 PST 2011

On 11/12/2011 11:22 AM, Rob Landley wrote:
> Still trying to ship an Aboriginal Linux release with the 3.1 kernel,
> but the sparc target broke, as in QEMU's OpenBios goes:
>
>   Boot time fixup v1.6. 4/Mar/98 Jakub Jelinek (jj at ultra.linux.cz).
>   Patching kernel for srmmu[Fujitsu TurboSparc]/iommu
>   Fixup i f029ddfc doesn't refer to a valid instruction at
>   f00de648[95eea000]
>   halt, power off

If anyone would like a reproduction sequence for this, the toolchain I use
(which compiles commit 9933fc0ac1ac14b^1 just fine) is at:

  http://landley.net/aboriginal/downloads/binaries/cross-compiler-sparc.tar.bz2

I configure using the attached miniconfig, ala:

  make allnoconfig KCONFIG_ALLCONFIG=miniconfig.sparc ARCH=sparc

And then:

  PATH=/path/to/cross-compiler-sparc/bin:$PATH make ARCH=sparc \
    CROSS_COMPILE=sparc- -j 3

I then grab the file arch/sparc/boot/image out of the build and run:

  qemu-system-sparc -nographic -no-reboot -kernel image -hda /dev/null -m 256 \
    -append "root=/dev/sda rw init=/sbin/init.sh panic=1 PATH=/bin:/sbin console=ttyS0 HOST=sparc"

If you'd like a working system for comparison (built with the same
toolchain), download:

  http://landley.net/aboriginal/downloads/binaries/system-image-sparc.tar.bz2

And run-emulator.sh out of that.