[Aboriginal] What's musl, anyway? (was: re: aboriginal)

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Oct 4 13:32:24 PDT 2011

>>> i built both gcc-core-4.5.3 and 4.6.0 on sabotage linux which only has a
>>> C compiler (since musl doesnt support C++ yet)
>>> the link time optimization newer gcc's (4.5+) support is quite nice as
>>> it allows to strip off unneeded functions without putting each function
>>> into an own object file.
>> So you mean it's like the --function-sections and --gc-sections options
>> I've been using since 2005?
>>
> it's not the same, it seems lto can also abandon code inside functions
> which is never invoked.

Ok.  Sounds like fun: better optimizer.

> fact is, the binaries are much smaller as with the dead code elimination
> flags.
> also in my tests stuff was partially 50% faster than with -O3 alone.
> so it's actually a pretty neat feature.

Sounds like you're compiling badly written code, but you work with what
you've got...

>>> gcc 3.4.6 builds fine with 128 mb and no swap at all...
>>> also it is relatively slim (i have a statically built one here which
>>> fits into a 6MB tarball...)
>>> maybe it would be the best if someone would fork it and add the new
>>> inline stuff...
>>> that way it could still be used to build recent kernels.
>> I built linux 3.0 with gcc 4.2.1 and binutils 2.17 on a dozen
>> architectures, worked for me.  What are you referring to?
>>
> i was talking about gcc *3*.

Ah, I missed that.

There are arguments for supporting older toolchain versions, and
arguments for supporting newer toolchain versions.  Mostly I just want a
working toolchain to bootstrap a target, and then you can natively build
a new toolchain under that in things like lfs-bootstrap.hdc.

> gcc 3.4.6 is a relatively nice compiler, builds with less than 128MB
> RAM, a statical linked crosscompiler fits into a 6MB .xz file,
> it's faster than gcc4, and has relatively good optimization, compared
> to pcc or tcc.

Compared to tcc Turbo C for DOS had relatively good optimization.

The interesting thing that newer gcc versions give you is support for
more targets.  For example, armv7 showed up in gcc 4.3, which is the big
incentive to support the newer one.  Support for the xylinx microblaze
would also be nice, since qemu has that now.  Alpha and m68k compilers
that don't die so often with internal compiler errors while cross
compiling stuff would also be cool, although I the native versions of
those compilers might be more stable.

> the build time on my 3ghz machine is 5 minutes compared to 45 minutes
> for gcc4.5 (without mpc/mpfr/gmp, who consume another 5 minutes alone)
> only thing missing is the gnu99 inline stuff. apart from that it
> compiles 99% of the code out there.

It is indeed cool.  But if I recall it couldn't do simple dead code
elimination on arm, meaning busybox had a build break trying to link
code out of .c files it hadn't bothered to compile because it knew they
wouldn't be used.

>>> all other packages in sabotage linux build just fine with it.
>>> since pcc is full of bugs and has nearly no optimization at all its not
>>> gonna be a real option anytime soon...
>>> and clang is in C++ itself...
>> Yup.  There are some people gluing sparse to llvm, but again: llvm is
>> c++.  I want to glue sparse or tcc to qemu's tcg, but it's down my todo
>> list a lot...
>>
> never heard about tcg. i'll read up on that one.

There's a README in qemu's tcg subdirectory.  See also
http://127.0.0.1/qemu/2008-01-29.html#Feb_1,_2008_-_TCG

>>> i guess a separate download such as strace would be even better.
>> I'm working on it, but it's also a bit down my todo list...
>>
>> Rob
>>

> i currently have an issue here with aboriginal:
> a) fdisk -l says both (root and home) partitions don't have a valid
> partition table. i wonder why?

Because they don't.  I created filesystem images and attached them to
qemu virtual disks:

/dev/hda - squashfs root filesystem (mounted on /)
/dev/hdb - 2 gig writeable ext3 (mounted on /home by dev-environment.sh)
/dev/hdc - build control image (mounted on /mnt by native-build.sh)

I'm mounting /dev/hda not /dev/hda1.  The whole unpartitioned device has
its own block device, which can have a filesystem on it.  (You can do
this with real hardware too.  Floppies were never partitioned.  I have
no idea why removable USB drives tend to be partitioned, I think it's
windows brain damage.)

Once upon a time I did create partitioned images:

  http://landley.net/code/mkhda.sh

But it's extra work for no benefit, and it means you can't easily
loopback mount them from the host.

> b) after unpacking and configuring gmp-5.0.2, i have a symlink
> "gmp-5.0.2/mpn/add_n.asm -> ../mpn/arm/add_n.asm"
> the symlink target is a regular file, but the readlink syscall returns
> ELOOP in errno.

If the readlink syscall was broken then ls -l wouldn't be able to
display symlinks.  What code is calling the readlink() syscall and
getting confused?  Did you run it under strace?  (The static-build.hdc
control image builds that, I put binaries up at
http;//landley.net/aboriginal/downloads/binaries/extras you can just
wget, chmod +x, and use if it helps.  I can't link you to a specific one
because I don't remember which target you're building for.)

> that prevents GMP (prerequisite for gcc 4.5) from building.

The lfs-bootstrap.hdc control image builds the gmp from Linux From
Scratch 6.7 under 11 different targets.  That's version 5.0.1 so
possibly something changed between that and 5.0.2, but I don't
understand how you're having a system call failure?  (How do you know
it's a system call failure?  There's context you're not explaining...)

> i can load the file into vi, both using the symlink and the link target.
> musl's readdir is just a one liner around the kernel syscall.

Use strace to see what arguments it's passing to the syscall.

> i couldnt reproduce that behaviour with a manually created symlink
> according to the above scheme.
> but it is reproducible by untaring gmp again and restarting the build.
> i suspect that's either a filesystem or kernel bug.

So the symlink is created corrupted?

What version are you using?  (The 1.1 release is using the ext4 driver
for both ext3 and ext2, and if you're untarring into /home under
dev-environment.sh then it's using the /dev/hdb image which should be ext3.)

The previous (1.0.3) release was using the separate ext2 and ext3
drivers for the journaled and nonjournaled versions of the same
filesystem, which was silly.  I'm not using ext4 yet, but one unified
driver for both of those is cool.  Shame if it's buggy, but we can get
it fixed if so...

> any suggestions are welcome ;)

More info, please.