[Aboriginal] lsi_scsi: error

John Spencer maillist-aboriginal at barfooze.de
Sun Oct 9 18:08:13 PDT 2011

On 10/09/2011 11:09 PM, Rob Landley wrote:
> On 10/08/2011 05:43 PM, John Spencer wrote:

>>> Huh.  I don't remember that.  It sounds like a kernel issue, some kind
>>> of mismatch between the scsi driver and either the block elevator or
>>> something, but I haven't seen it...
>>>
>>> Neither did "find . -type f | xargs grep lsi_scsi" in the current linux
>>> kernel git repo.

>>> Ah, there you go.  Doing the find in the qemu source pulls up file
>>> hw/lsi53c895a.c containing:
>>>
>>> #define BADF(fmt, ...) \
>>> do { fprintf(stderr, "lsi_scsi: error: " fmt , ## __VA_ARGS__);} while
>>> (0)
>>> #endif
>>>           case 0x22: /* ORDERED queue */
>>>               BADF("ORDERED queue not implemented\n");
>>>               s->select_tag |= lsi_get_msgbyte(s) | LSI_TAG_VALID;
>>>               break;
>>>
>> ah, thanks for your research.
>>
>> this time it's gotten nasty:
>> 2011.09.08 22:08:05 building binutils
>> lsi_scsi: error: ORDERED queue not implemented
>> lsi_scsi: error: ORDERED queue not implemented
>> lsi_scsi: error: ORDERED queue not implemented
>> lsi_scsi: error: ORDERED queue not implemented
>> lsi_scsi: error: ORDERED queue not implemented
>> lsi_scsi: error: ORDERED queue not implemented
>> lsi_scsi: error: ORDERED queue not implemented
>> lsi_scsi: error: ORDERED queue not implemented
>> lsi_scsi: error: ORDERED queue not implemented
>> lsi_scsi: error: ORDERED queue not implemented
>> lsi_scsi: error: ORDERED queue not implemented
>> lsi_scsi: error: ORDERED queue not implemented
>> lsi_scsi: error: ORDERED queue not implemented
>> sd 0:0:1:0: [sdb] ABORT operation started
>> sd 0:0:1:0: ABORT operation failed.
>> sd 0:0:1:0: [sdb] DEVICE RESET operation started
>> scsi target0:0:1: control msgout: c.
>> lsi_scsi: error: Unimplemented message 0x0c
>> scsi target0:0:1: has been reset
>> sd 0:0:1:0: DEVICE RESET operation complete.
>> sd 0:0:1:0: M_REJECT received (0:0).
>> lsi_scsi: error: ORDERED queue not implemented
>> lsi_scsi: error: ORDERED queue not implemented
>> 2011.09.08 22:24:29 done.
>>
>> possibly there is some kernel switch which could be used to disable
>> usage of "ORDERED queue"
> Apparently the qemu guys have been poking at this:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2011-04/msg02307.html
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2010-09/msg01225.html
>
> Honestly, they're the people you need to talk to.

thanks, it is no real problem; everything works despite that.
won't bother you anymore.
>> everything seems to work, but possibly it can get still worse.
>> i guess it's better to disable it until qemu supports it...
> I'm open to kernel .config changes for the armv6l target.  Currently the
> board localization in sources/targets/armv6l is:
>
> LINUX_CONFIG="
>
> # Processor config
>
> CONFIG_CPU_V6=y
> CONFIG_MMU=y
> CONFIG_ARM_THUMB=y
> CONFIG_AEABI=y
> CONFIG_VFP=y
>
> # Versatile board
>
> CONFIG_ARCH_VERSATILE_PB=y
> CONFIG_PCI_LEGACY=y
> CONFIG_SERIAL_NONSTANDARD=y
> CONFIG_SERIAL_AMBA_PL011=y
> CONFIG_SERIAL_AMBA_PL011_CONSOLE=y
> CONFIG_RTC_DRV_PL031=y
> CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_2=y
> CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_DMA_ADDRESSING_MODE=0
> CONFIG_SCSI_SYM53C8XX_MMIO=y
> "

funny, i just c/p'ed that part a few hours earlier into sabotage's
kernel build script...
btw, do you happen to know by chance why the kernel make disrespects my
CC/HOSTCC settings and uses gcc instead of distcc ?
> If you see any symbols that should be removed from or added to that...

will keep my eyes open.
>>> I note that 0.15.0 is out.  Doesn't look like it fixes this bug, though.
>> i'm actually glad that aboriginal comes with the comfortable qemu start
>> environment,
>> so that i don't have to mess around with qemu myself... (yet another
>> tool to master)
> Agreed, that's why I put the wrapper scripts there.
>
> Have you tried the:
>
>    ./dev-environment.sh 2>/dev/null
>
> workaround yet?  What's only going to discard error messages
> _from_qemu_, which seems like what you want...

not yet. will try later once the kernel is built. since it builds since
about 2.5 hours, i guess it will finish soon... hopefully.