[Aboriginal] What's musl, anyway?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Fri Oct 14 08:58:46 PDT 2011

On 10/12/2011 04:05 PM, John Spencer wrote:
> On 10/12/2011 07:35 AM, John Spencer wrote:
>>

>> the aboriginal infrastructure is indeed pretty sweet and i was
>> thinking about wether i should adopt parts of it.
>> especially the automatic distcc configuration, although the
>> preprocessing power needed for some stuff makes it nearly useless in
>> those cases. if that bottleneck could be removed, it would even make
>> sense to allow to add more distcc-servers.
>> well, maybe some day a sane person (which happens to know python) will
>> come and port the distcc pump stuff to C, or just rewrite it from
>> scratch.
>
> actually the problem was mktimeconst.c which looped forever due to a bug
> (1L vs 1LL)... i have taken the patch (linux-noperl-timeconst.patch)
> from another source which wasn't fixed yet... builds in about 30 minutes
> now.

I fixed that bug months ago:

  changeset:   1379:ddbd48ced0d7
  user:        Rob Landley <rob at landley.net>
  date:        Thu Jun 16 07:41:10 2011 -0500
  files:       sources/patches/linux-noperl-timeconst.patch
  Fix from Geoffroy Weisenhorn: on 32-bit hosts mktimeconst needs
  1L<<31 to be an _unsigned_ long constant.

But I made it unsigned instead of long long because 64 bit math on a 32
bit host is unpleasant.

Who else is using it?  (Just curious.  I wrote that patch from scratch,
and despite repeatedly posting it to linux-kernel nobody ever seemed to
care but me...)