[Aboriginal] 1.1.0 problem creating an ext2 image.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Oct 15 15:48:22 PDT 2011

On 10/15/2011 03:47 AM, David Seikel wrote:
> In aboriginal 1.1.0 root-image.sh uses $IMAGE in the part of the script
> that is creating an ext2 disk image if one is requested.  Problem is,
> that's not defined anywhere.  So it ends up trying to dd to a
> directory, which dd complains about.

Ah.  That variable is defined in system-image.sh, looks like I screwed
it up when I broke out the root filesystem image generation from the
system image assembly.

Hmmm...  There a debug echo right above it.  Looks like I got distracted
and wound up checking in half-finished code I hadn't tested. Oops?  I
was pretty sure I'd tested that.  (The downside of supporting multiple
image formats, gotta run parts of the build three times to test that.

And in fact, this only only triggers if you select ext2 filesystem type
AND set SYSIMAGE_HDA_MEGS to tell it to reserve extra space, so actually
I have to test _four_ times.  (I tested ext2 image generation, but the
resizing logic was unfinished.)  Yeah, the dd line actually is more
debug code that shouldn't exist...

Lemme fix this up, sorry about that.

Rob

P.S.  The reason this is almost never used today is that the squashfs
can be easily copied into a writeable chroot via the /sbin/chroot-setup
script.  This means that you can run dev-environment.sh multiple times
to do different things, even in parallel, without your root filesystem
changing and potentially needing a fsck or having some subtle behavior
change.  If you want to install more stuff in it you can do so in the
chroot, but you always _start_ with a known system.  That's how all the
control-images stuff works.

That said, if it's going to offer writeable ext2 root filesystems of any
size, they should _work_.  Fixing it now.  Thanks for the heads up...