[Aboriginal] gfortran

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Aug 30 20:06:34 PDT 2012

On 08/30/2012 09:08 PM, Brian Fix wrote:
> Hi Aboriginal Users,
> I found aboriginal looking into cross compiling python for my android.
> I've seen multiple threads and projects on how to do it, they usually
> involve a messy patch to apply to a specific version, and multiple
> stages of configuring and building with very long argument lists.
>
> Not the case with aboriginal, a simple:
>
> ./configure --without-threads --prefix=/home/python_blah
> make
> make install
>
> copied the results, and the dynamic libraries, onto my android device,
> ran elfpatch on the python to point the python to the new library
> locations, and i was done.
>
> Now I'm spoiled,  I want numpy, scipy and matplotlib this easily!

Yay!  Glad you liked it.

> Unfortunately, numpy/scipy have dependencies which require a Fortran
> compiler, so here's my problem.
>
> I've downloaded the complete gcc tarball with gfortran and all other
> languages  from their website and tried the same simple approach:
>
> tar xvzf gcc-4.6.0.tar.gz
> cd gcc-4.6.0/
> ./contrib/download_prerequisits
> mkdir gcc_build
> cd gcc_build
> ../gcc-a.b.c/configure
> make

I have most of a Linux From Scratch 6.8 build at
http://landley.net/aboriginal/control-images

Basically if aboriginal linux's is fed a third hard drive image its init
script will mount it on /mnt and then check for a /mnt/init and run that
instead of a shell prompt. (Note the three second delay if you want to
press a key to get a control prompt, then poke around in /mnt on the
live system.)

The native-build.sh wrapper plugs in a control image and then calls
dev-environment.sh.

I note that at one point I built the toolchains (it queries the host to
see what the tuple is, ala "gcc -dumpmachine") but didn't install them
because it would undo the distcc acceleration and the build was slow
enough already. But that's probably a reasonable start?

(Yeah, I should upgrade to the current Linux From Scratch. It's on my
todo list. In the meantime, there's examples of natively building a
gazillion packages, tweaked and tuned to install into aboriginal and
gradually replace most of it...)

> I notices a series of gcc patches in the aboriginal-1.2.0.tar.gz, should
> I download 4.2.1 source apply these patches and compile?

It's an option, but newer toolchains shouldn't need most of those
patches. They're for uClibc and cross compiling and such.

If _all_ you want is a fortran compiler, you shouldn't even need to
replace the host toolchain. Just configure for fortran only. Dunno what
kind of libc that might want, not familiar with it myself...

GNU/Linux isn't: Linux=GPLv2, GNU=GPLv3+, they can't share code.
Either it's "mere aggregation", or a license violation.  Pick one.