[Aboriginal] 3.2 is out, prepping release.

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jan 9 07:13:58 PST 2012

I spent the portion of the weekend I could claw away from other
emergencies triaging the 3.2 kernel release, which mostly works out of
the box, but "mostly" is (as always) fiddly.

One of the perl removal patches needed to be rediffed to apply without
"fuzz", but the patch itself still works fine unmodified.

The kernel guys once again did something insane with the config symbols,
reorganizing the ethernet drivers menu under a new CONFIG_ETHERNET and
then adding _vendor_ guard symbols under that, so I now have to care
that the Sun "lance" driver in the sparc board emulation was
manufactured by AMD.  (I really, really need to write a tool to expand a
miniconfig and _set_ guard symbols automatically.  The current stuff
only does dependencies in one direction, it won't go "I just tried to
set a symbol that can ONLY be set if this one, unambiguous other symbol
is first set".  (This is really visibility rules rather than
dependencies per se, but menuconfig has always conflated those two.  But
this is 90% of the conf changes you need from version to version, I need
to _fix_ it so it _goes_away_.  Not holding up the release for it, though.)

There are some other fiddly bugs I'll mention in another message, since
they're not 3.2 specific.  Not holding up the release for those either,
since they're not regressions.

I'll try to do the release notes tonight,