[Aboriginal] GCC - messed up search dirs

Paul Onyschuk blink at bojary.koba.pl
Mon Jan 23 02:23:45 PST 2012

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 16:24:18 -0600
Rob Landley wrote:

> I think I have a fix, which should be in the upcoming release.  If
> you'd like to try it now, do this:
>
> cat > /tmp/cpp << 'EOF'
> #!/bin/bash
>
> gcc -E "$@"
> EOF
> mount --bind /tmp/cpp /bin/cpp

> Did my above workaround fix your problem, or not?

Yes, it works just fine this way.  I forgot about this after writing
this wall of text, sorry about that.  I should have informed you about
this earlier.

> I've got to get as much of itas possible to work with bionic.  That's
> going to be interesting.  I'll probably have to write my own regex
> engine...

That's great, I'll be definitely looking forward to it.  I agree that
musl libc [1] was wasted opportunity.  Personally I found it amusing
that same mistakes were once again made, when it comes to adaptation -
dietlibc and its GPL license vs. musl libc and LGPL.

> I recall a bunch of subtle incompatabilities, such as netbsd awk and
> the gnu/dammit version of awk disagreeing about the index of command
> line entries...

There is no such thing as NetBSD awk per se.  nawk stands for new awk
and it is maintained by Brian Kernighan [2].  It is used by every *BSD
AFAIK.  This is standard awk implementation as you could get, in the
end it was written by author of language.

Side note on name confusion.  NetBSD is probably the only system that
still maintains own version of curses (it is called just "curses"),
they don't use GNU ncruses as everyone else.

> Minix has a project?

They got huge grant  from EU.  NetBSD libc was ported and they switched
to Clang/LLVM as default compiler.

[1] http://www.landley.net/notes.html#18-01-2012
[2] http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~bwk/btl.mirror/