[Aboriginal] Build from version control system repos instead of from tarballs

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sat Sep 8 18:55:49 PDT 2012

On 09/04/2012 03:49 AM, Alessio Igor Bogani wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can Aboriginal grabs sources from git(Linux, musl, uclibc, busybox)
> and hg(toybox) repos instead of from tarballs?
> Thanks!

To add a little _more_ fun to this, binutils commit
397a64b350470350c8e0adb2af84439ea0f89272 is the last gplv2 version of
binutils (after 2.17, before 2.17.50, the next commit coverted gas to
gplv3), but I can't find a place to download that from as a tarball.

I want the default build to use wget instead of git clone because wget
is in busybox and git clone isn't: keeping the smallest possible build
environment down to just 7 packages requires some compromises.

I'm thinking about ways to simplify the package cache dance I mentioned
earlier. Possibly the package cache should be packages/cache and then
the procedure should be:

1) comment out the tarball URL in download.sh
2) remove the patches you don't want applied from sources/patches
3) git clone packages/cache/thingy

And then just remove the alt- infrastructure because having two
different versions of the same tarball in play at once is just silly.
You can clone the build scripts repo into another directory and play
around in there (or do branching if that's more your style, all that
"shelve" stuff).

GNU/Linux isn't: Linux=GPLv2, GNU=GPLv3+, they can't share code.
Either it's "mere aggregation", or a license violation.  Pick one.