[Aboriginal] Kernel patching failure with 1.2.4.1

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Aug 20 05:58:15 PDT 2013

On 08/19/2013 10:32:54 AM, Prasanna Balan wrote:
> On 18/08/13, Patrick Lauer wrote:
> > Trying to build 1.2.4.1 fails when fetching/patching kernel:
> >
> > Confirmed linux-3.10.tar.bz2
> > === linux (host download)
> > Extracting
>
> It does build cleanly on my gentoo box here.
> Confirmed means it got downloaded, there must be some issue during
> patching.Also this step (as much I understand) uses toybox patch and
> not the one from your host and (obviously) is architecture
> independent.

Depends how you do it.

If you run "EXTRACT_ALL=1 ./download.sh" then it extracts everything
into the package cache (build/packages) and applies the patches up
front, before running host-tools.sh. Later builds reuse the package
cache if the sources/patches and packages directories haven't changed.

If you just do ./build.sh with an empty/nonexistent build directory, it
extracts packages as needed, so it builds host-tools long before
extracting the kernel. So in that case, it would use the toybox patch.

Both should work, though.

> Are you doing something different than default ?? Which distro ?? Are
> you using EXTRACT_ALL=1 ??

If you use more/buildall.sh it'll do EXTRACT_ALL=1 as part of the
setup. (That way it can do the builds in parallel without the package
cache initialization causing race conditions.)