[Aboriginal] Aboriginal PATH gets messed up

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Jan 13 07:11:42 PST 2013

On 01/13/2013 12:47:01 AM, chase rayfield wrote:
> Hey Rob,
>
> I attempted to build Aboriginal just now and I get
>
> ./download.sh: line 10: mkdir: command not found

Wild guess: you ran more/record-commands.sh then deleted build/host but
not
build/record-commands ? (The logic for figuring out what the
record-commands wrapper hands off to is still a bit brittle.)

If not, did you build via build.sh or via more/buildall.sh? (Let's see,
clean pull, ./build.sh i686, and... that's going to take a while on
this netbook.)

> if I echo the $PATH just before inside dienow() I only get
> /root/aboriginal/build/host rather than
> /usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.6.3:/opt/nvidia-cg-toolkit/bin

A) You don't need to build as root, it should work fine as a normal
user.

B) The point of host-tools.sh is to setup build/host with known
versions of everything the build needs, and then the rest of the build
restricts the $PATH to that if it's there. Sounds like it's setting it
up wrong. Let's see...

(The build can skip the host-tools.sh stage. Either comment it out in
build.sh or run the stages yourself by hand skipping that one. But that
doesn't fix the problem, host-tools _should_ be creating a good
build/host directory...)

> I attempted to figure out what the problem was but couldn't find
> anything in the
> utility_functions.sh that was broken... perhaps you have some
> suggestions or have a
> better idea about the problem.

It's finished host-tools.sh here and is grinding away at binutils. I
just stopped it and re-ran download.sh and it's happy.

> I'm on funtoo curently switching from gentoo so I may have some
> configuration issue
> but I haven't noticed anything elsewhere.

What are the steps you used to reproduce this? Are you building the
latest release version or a mercurial pull? Have you built in that
directory before, or does it do it on your first attempt in a clean
directory?

I'm happy to debug anything I can reproduce, but I need more info to
reproduce this...

> I switched since I got a nice little quad
> core netbook sized laptop :) Sager NP6110... 16Gb ram should work
> great for testing
> stuff out. I mention it since you seem to enjoy that size factor but
> not the
> customary loss in performance it did hurt the wallet a bit more
> though X.x.

Sounds like a nice machine. I've built under funtoo before, but it was
a while ago.

> I might get back around to testing sparc kernels if I have time....
> someone just sent
> me a 150Mhz Hypersparc and a bunch of ram for my SS-10 so that should
> go swimmingly.

Ooh, very nice.

I was looking up sparc64 a while ago and it's another one like powerpc
64 where they didn't bother to do a 64 bit userspace, just 64 bit
kernels and the very occasional application. Thus I'm not quite sure
how to add Aboriginal support to it. (Just a toolchain? Toolchain and
kernel using the 32 bit userspace? Except how would you build the
"occasional" 64 bit application? Where does libc enter into this?)

   http://www.debian.org/ports/sparc/

Then again, I'm told that's changing because gcc is dropping sparc32
support:

   http://wiki.debian.org/Sparc64

(Of course current gcc requires a C++ compiler on the host to build it,
so here's hoping clang/pcc/open64 matures quickly.)