[Aboriginal] Aboriginal Digest, Vol 24, Issue 3

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Mon Jan 14 05:27:17 PST 2013

On 01/14/2013 01:36:16 AM, Isaac Dunham wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Jan 2013 13:30:37 -0800
> Rob Landley wrote:
> > Sounds like a nice machine. I've built under funtoo before, but it
> > was a while ago.
>
> Looks nice indeed, especially compared to an Atom netbook (I have an
> aspire one as
> secondary).
> In my experience, an ssd is probably the first thing a ~netbook
> needs. 5400 RPM hard
> drives are miserable.  But everything is pretty limited, especially
> if you use bloat
> like the full gnu (gnu's not usable?) environment.

I got one I could upgrade to 8 gigs of ram. Makes a big difference.

That doesn't help me reproduce this build failure, though.

> > I was looking up sparc64 a while ago and it's another one like
> powerpc
> > 64 where they didn't bother to do a 64 bit userspace, just 64 bit
> > kernels and the very occasional application. Thus I'm not quite sure
> > how to add Aboriginal support to it. (Just a toolchain? Toolchain
> and
> > kernel using the 32 bit userspace? Except how would you build the
> > "occasional" 64 bit application? Where does libc enter into this?)
> >
> >    http://www.debian.org/ports/sparc/
>
> Debian's approach is "multilib", but that's a bit of a mess in its
> own right.
> You might need their patches to make it work right.

I don't do multilib. I'm trying to set up a target environment you can
build stuff under. If you can natively build a new Linux From Scratch
chroot, my work is done.

> Basically, you have
> -a 32-bit toolchain, but capable of targeting both 32-bit and 64-bit
> -two builds of libc, one for 64-bit, one for 32-bit
> -the rest of the environment built for 32-bit

If I _can_ build a 64-bit only environment, I'd like to do that. That's
how the x86-64 target works, for example. (You can add 32 bit libraries
after the fact, by building them  natively on target.)

Last I checked uClibc didn't support it, but musl might someday.

> > Then again, I'm told that's changing because gcc is dropping sparc32
> > support:
> >
> >    http://wiki.debian.org/Sparc64
> >
> > (Of course current gcc requires a C++ compiler on the host to build
> it,
> > so here's hoping clang/pcc/open64 matures quickly.)
>
> What's left for open64 to mature in your opinion? From all I've seen,
> there are a
> few places where gcc is just catching up with them.

I don't know. I'm trying to learn enough to find out. I'll probably
have to try it and see what breaks.

> clang seems to be making headway, but pcc seems to be at the "well,
> it's more
> active than tcc..." level. It can bootstrap at least OpenBSD, though,

Clang needs C++ on the host in order to build (but only recently wrote
its own C++ standard library), didn't have its own binutils last I
checked... I'll need to engage with this more at some point but it's
not strongly luring me out of my niche yet.