[Aboriginal] Load limiter patch

Patrick Lauer patrick at gentoo.org
Tue Oct 1 04:16:06 PDT 2013

Hi all,

I noticed some, ahem, suboptimal behaviour on machines with lots of
memory when FORK=1 is used.

Problem: the current algorithm sets the number of parallel jobs to
memsize/512MB. On a machine with e.g. 32GB that's 64 jobs, since there
are 17 targets currently that gives a per-target parallelism of 3 which
adds up to 51 parallel jobs ... on a machine with 4 or 8 CPU-cores.

You can imagine how that's, err, not happy.

So I tried to add a ceiling at 2*CPU, which seems reasonable to me -
still allows for good parallelism while not stupidly overwhelming the
system. I haven't yet tested it extensively, so there might be some
stupid included - but it appears to select the right limit.

Enjoy the attached patch,

Patrick