[Aboriginal] Aboriginal Linux with a recent toolchain

stephen Turner stephen.n.turner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 16:43:13 PST 2014

On Dec 12, 2014 6:01 PM, "Bobby Bingham" <koorogi at koorogi.info> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 11:57:43AM +0100, Alessio Igor Bogani wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Have someone instructed Aboriginal Linux to download, build and use a
> > more recent toolchain?
>
> Aboriginal uses an old version of gcc/binutils because it's the newest
> version that was GPLv2, and Rob's rather against GPLv3.  I think he
> might have looked at LLVM at some point, but decided it wasn't ready yet
> at the time, but I might be mis-remembering.

Well I just completed a binutils-2.17 and pcc musl toolchain thats working
out pretty sweet.  Pcc is a bit funky while cross compiling tho, if uclibc
or glibc are present then no amount of force or tweaks will set it to musl.
Then again its not ported or patched for musl either.

I made a musl chroot env then compiled a static cross gcc. Then I chrooted
into the env and built pcc and lib easy peasy.

Course I need to sort out the inability to compile m4 and binutils natively
in the new environment but otherwise everything is fine. You need lex and
yacc for pcc. I chose flex which requires m4 and byacc which has no
dependencies that musl and busybox couldnt satisfy.

Now to work out a build and test script.