[Aboriginal] Issue with ./dev-environment for armv7l

John Spencer maillist-aboriginal at barfooze.de
Fri Feb 28 13:37:56 PST 2014

Tayaout Labelle Kuberek wrote:
> I have an issue with the qemu ./dev-environment not loading. The CPU

i assume you're running dev-environment.sh with the system-image-armv6l
? oh wait, i just see that there an armv7l system image now ... which is
kinda strange because... see below paragraph.

> stays at 100% usage and nothing is booting. I wanted to compile my own
> version but the build.sh script in the source tarball doesn't seems to
> support armv7l since the option is missing.

the medieval toolchain rob uses because of his GPLv3 hate doesn't
support armv7l. it would need backporting of the patches that introduced
  armv7l into the gcc compiler somewhere between 4.2.1 (last GPLv2
release , that's what aboriginal uses) and 4.2.4 (last release without
gmp/mpc/mpfr dependencies). the latter is known to support armv7l,
however only with softfp (for hardfloat you would need at least gcc 4.5.4).

i think rob is currently looking into adopting ELLCC as the compiler
toolchain for aboriginal, but it will probably take a very long time
until that happens (if it will happen at all)...

> I'm working on Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64. Thanks in advance if anyone has any
> input on what I could try.

check if the system-image-armv6l works for you. it will produce binaries
that are compatible with armv7l, btw (as long as you use softfp (fpu
support with softfloat calling convention), or softfloat).